Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I see (awesome) dead people.com

There are two awesome things that I want to tell you about right now, and, basically, the only things they really have in common is that they involve dead people and they're on the Internet.

1. Dead Teen Songs, You Gotta Love Them I have a (totally weird and macabre?) love of Dead Teen songs. I spent an entire summer of my life yelling LOOK OUT LOOK OUT! and freaking my brother out (because I am the awesomest sister ever, yes) like the refrain to one of the greatest Dead Teen Songs, "Leader of the Pack," which is under the"Motorcycles" heading on this superawesome website with the description: "The boyfriend is no good and he conveniently goes off and gets himself killed. The relationship probably wouldn't have lasted." This website is genius! I love it. 

Another Dead Teen song that I am obsessed with is the Bruce Springsteen song, "Wreck on the Highway" which I totally saw him sing LIVE on his acoustic tour and it was so, so awesome. (My love of The Boss knows no bounds.) And I thought that the song was true and Bruce had come upon a wreck and it scarred him (all sensitive musician like) and that's why he didn't play it live that much? But according to teh internets this is not necessarily true? Whatever I am going to choose to believe that Bruce is superdeep and wounded like.

Also, some of these songs are super gruesome and I will probably have nightmares tonight. Like "Days Of Graduation" by the Drive-By Truckers (I mean, obvs). The lyrics to this song are TERRIBLE and I can't be the only one that knows them so I must share (brace yourself):

And my girl was pinned in her seat, partially embedded in the dashboard
And for the next twenty minutes the only sound in the night were her screams.
And the sound of the wheel still spinning.

In a little while the ambulance came and the sound of its siren mixed with the screaming girl and the spinning wheel.

But when the story was told the next day at the graduation ceremony,
Everyone said that when the ambulance came
The paramedics could hear "Free Bird" still playing on the stereo

You know it's a very long song

As my new favorite website says: Wow.
(Thanks to Pop Culture Junk Mail for the find.)


2. On a slightly less gruesome and terrible note, William S. Burroughs is alive! And robbing stores in the Village! (And really, if he were alive, don't you think this is exactly what he would be doing?) My other favorite part of this story is OF COURSE the dude working at the yogurt shop on Bleeker sees a tall, gaunt man with prominent cheekbones and thinks: Burroughs! There are so many perfect things about this story I kind of can't stand it. The cops for real say the robber is actually a lookalike and then they go ahead and full on call the dude out by his name, no allegedlys in sight (fun journalism fact! allegedly doesn't really work that well and you're not actually supposed to use it) which, like, wow they must be really certain, or else they know that it really is Burroughs and ghosts really do exist and they made up this patsy dude to get us off the scent to try and keep the people calm. That's probably it, right?


My Wolverine Action Figure has been sequestered to a secret location due to upheaval. I can say no more at this time regarding his whereabouts.

No comments: